[ Content | View menu ]
Miri Day 2 017 - _MG_5344.jpgMiri Day 2 028 - _MG_5411.jpgMiri Day 2 016 - _MG_5338.jpgHong Kiat & Cely's ROM 092-_MG_0788Hong Kiat & Cely's ROM 091-_MG_0772Foon Yee Hen's Night 177-_MG_5709Chung Lern & Stephanie Couple Photoshoot 044-_MG_1244Chung Lern & Stephanie Couple Photoshoot 009-_MG_0957Sunway University 026 - _MG_3870

Crossroads

Written on July 11, 2009 by CincauHangus

Stumbled upon another crossroad.

I caught up with my lecturer and FYP supervisor yesterday for a brief chat on things, etc. One of the few lecturers that I’m close and got to know better. I think it has been more than 8 months since I last met him.

*speaking of which, it’s also the amount of time I’ve been jobless. lol*

Getting to the point, last year, while FYP was still in high gear, he asked me whether I’m interested in leading on of his projects for the uni, which was a online web portal, to promote games development in the uni. I said I’ll consider but most likely after FYP.

8 months passed, he got in touch with me and offered me the same project again, this time with added incentives. Everything will be provided by the uni (hardware, software) and all i need to do was to find a team to develop this portal, but on a larger scale. Mainly to support MDeC’s IPCC and to promote game development in Malaysia.

Update: I know some don’t really believe in the gov, but I believe some gov divisions are actually okay.

However, it will be on me and funding is pretty minimal – knowing my uni being so kiasu and kedekut sometimes. I’ll be leading the team of my choosing. Best of all, I’ll retain sole ownership of the project.

If things work out, the project may get a Pre-Seeding slot by MDeC, which is RM50k  funding for the project. And if that works out better, I’ll get a Seeding slot by MDec which is RM250k. AND if that works out, MDeC will forward the project to venture capitals. That’s 3 BIG IFs.

Time line is short however, as he wants to launch it with the commencements of the ICCG ’09 in November.

I can’t really get into details about the project but it’s surely a first in the country, as my supervisor says, I’ll be the pioneer in the country. I need to give him an answer by this Monday.

So here come’s the crossroad.

I’m sitting for my SAP ABAP exam (which currently I don’t have the confidence to pass at the moment.. T_T) and once I get certified (another IF) I’ll be holding a cert which I’m not putting to good use if I were to take up this project. I would definitely love to get a high paying and good prospect job under SAP, but will miss out doing something big like this.

I could pick up as part time, but 3 months is quite a tight deadline to get the first prototype up. And it also means that I’ll need to let go photography as a part time if it takes off. I can’t however let go of my other part time job because I’m bound by a one year contract.

Or I could stay jobless and work on this full time for a working prototype, get it user tested, etc. I might be able to do a few photography jobs in between as well.

I spoke to my dad about it, and he told me to pick it up, though he didn’t say why I should pick it up, I could only assume it’s because I’m still young and I should give everything a try before settling for a *boring* desk job.

I’ve yet to decide, though I’m siding on an option already. I’d like to hear my readers’ (what’s left of it – after the long hiatus) honest comments. Would love to hear from experience and sorts. :)

17 Comments

Write comment - TrackBack - RSS Comments

• Comment by William:

I would say NOT to take the web portal project. Rather, focus on the SAP exam and fulfill your 1 year contract while doing part time photography. Then use the $ saved and do whatever you want with it. Fund your own portal project then if no one else is still doing it.

But if you do want to take up the project, make sure industry participation is there. MDeC is not giving out $ for some small user group projects that doesn’t benefit Boleh-land.

July 11, 2009 @ 1:35 am
  • Comment by syen:

I would suggest you NOT to take it, there are many unknown issues!
    1.u don’t even know how large is the SCALE?
    2.why your lecturer can’t get any master students to lead it for him (8mths damn long le)?
    3.do you think you able to get a strong, skillful team?
    4.even the 3 IFs really give you true result, i double you can claim that large amount of $$$ from MDEC easily………….

Anyway, just some views from me, better think it clearly before make decision…..
    Try consult HKiat as well. :)

July 11, 2009 @ 2:02 am
  • Comment by yapthomas:

on contrary to William and syen…

Aaron, you will have my full support to this.

mdec has been giving out this kind of seed funds to develop IT genius to help grow the country’s young talents in IT.
    I’ve known a person who got the 50K and what he is doing now is that he sits at home, plays PS3 (bought with the 50k money) and that’s it.

I know you can do something far more better than sitting at home. 50K is A LOT!

So what if you fail?
    - You can always sit for SAP, they don’t run away
    - You can always fall back to photography which is part of your passion

If you don’t take this opportunity and test how far you can go, then when will you?

Strong and skillful team? When you need them, u will just know where to get them! Trust me…

July 11, 2009 @ 4:18 am
  • Comment by Yatz:

i guess you could try it out, since it’s not quite a long period during its pre-seed duration..if it’s UP then go on la..if it’s DOWN then come we go play slow-shutter :P

July 11, 2009 @ 5:56 am
  • Comment by M0M0:

I would its worth a try as you do not get many chances like this. It will be a benchmark for yourself to see how far you can go and how skillful you are in this industry. If it fails, you can always rollback to SAP and photography as your peers commented earlier. I believe every job has got something to learn. Make sure no regrets in life and you have my support! =)

July 11, 2009 @ 8:05 am
  • Comment by CincauHangus:

wth yatz… slow shutter pulak… hahha..

July 11, 2009 @ 12:16 pm
  • Comment by Alison:

my opinion is take a leap,who knows what might happen :) i mean you never know if you never try and an opportunity like this don’t come often but make sure you get more info on it 1st lar

July 11, 2009 @ 12:53 pm
  • Comment by babedevil:

how much do u think u’ll need to fork out on ur side btw?

July 11, 2009 @ 5:38 pm
  • Comment by CincauHangus:

Dont think i need to fork out any huge amount..

July 12, 2009 @ 2:20 am
  • Comment by ming jian:

Just take the Game Portal project if your heart tells you to.

like others have said, SAP test is always there, SAP jobs are always there, and SAP, I dunno, but really sounds like a boring job to me, though earning big bucks.

Photography is ur hobby, ur passion, don’t let it down, i am regret that i let down my photography, hopefully one day i will be holding camera again.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

So, do what your heart wants to do, of coz not illegal thing lah.. lol..

if everything fails, u can always get back to feet, with extra experienced.

All the best !!!

July 12, 2009 @ 11:56 am
  • Trackback from Vamos.Cf:

Vamos.Cf…

Crossroads | CincauHangus.com…

September 6, 2014 @ 9:59 am
  • Comment by Darell Bueche:

La pareja llama a una amiga, con la que a menudo hacen tríos a fin de que los ayude.

March 10, 2015 @ 9:39 pm
  • Comment by Georgia Trevino:

Superb blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any ideas? Kudos!

February 16, 2016 @ 8:02 am
  • Comment by Graciela Hirst:

I like what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the good works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

March 14, 2016 @ 1:57 am
  • Comment by Colleen Vaccari:

s foods have swollen manifolds in market along with increase in pet. He read the script to his son and he took the jobon his son’s approval of the story. Maintain health and activeness of faithful dogs with little caution in feeding foods.

March 28, 2016 @ 8:13 pm
  • Comment by Louie Boudreau:

Hello, this weekend is pleasant designed for me, for the reason that this occasion i am reading this wonderful informative piece of writing here at my house.

June 1, 2016 @ 5:04 pm
  • Comment by Erlinda Mejia:

So being yourself in terms of your website is knowing what you are about and then being that. We drive business to your site by building a profile and effectively optimizing your online content. Search engines identify the content of your pages largely on the words used in your page titles.

August 9, 2016 @ 3:04 am
Write comment

Click to hear an audio file of the anti-spam word